background

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Aftershocks

I was raised to think that by hard work, perseverance, and frugal use of your money anyone could "succeed". I still believe that is true - for those of us fortunate enough to be born in America.
I remember being much younger, watching TV commercials about the starving children in Ethiopia. Skinny little arms & legs, bulging tummies, seemingly oblivious to the flies perched on their lips and noses. It seemed so far away. It was as real to me as a fictional movie. So sad, but it was so far away it couldn't really penetrate my narrow reality.
I have been so fortunate in my adulthood. I have traveled a little internationally, and seen how challenging day-to-day life can be for other very hard working, persevering, frugal individuals. God is teaching me how small this world is. Teaching me that the privileges we take for granted here in America are pipe dreams for many, if not most, of the world's population.
So, I spent last evening and today glued to the news. Devastated by the destruction in Haiti. My boys' birth country. A place where I had the privilege of spending 9 weeks. And my heart aches for them. I feel guilt that I have so much, and they have so little - and that little has just been crushed. Wishing I knew how to help, not just today, but everyday. Please Lord, show me my place. Why am I blessed with such creature comforts, cupboards full of food, electricity, clean indoor plumbing. And how can I best show your love to others who were not born with such opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment